Sex toy Image credit: iStock/Moussa81

It's been a while since we've reported any 'sex toy stuck up bottom' stories, and we thought perhaps people had finally got the message that you need to be careful when putting foreign bodies in there.

Not so. The British Medical Journal has issued a fascinating new report all about how a man in Italy ended up making medical history when he arrived at hospital to admit he had a bit of a problem.

The story unfolded at the ASST Great Metropolitan Hospital in Niguarda, when medics in A&E welcomed a 31-year-old who sheepishly told them he had managed to get a sex toy stuck inside his rectum. What's more, he had waited an incredible 24 hours before seeking help and had only decided to find a doctor when the object started causing him 'mild abdominal pain'.

Sure enough, X-rays revealed there was a sex toy in his colon - and that it measured a whopping 60 cm long. In fact, the dildo was so huge and so far up that traditional medical techniques (oh yes, they do have them) failed and enterprising doctors had to come up with something else.

They managed to fashion a noose out of medical wire and threaded it through a catheter tube, which they could then use to create a tight grip and pull the dildo out.

Everyone ended up a winner in this story: the unnamed man was relieved of his pain and embarrassment and was free to go home, while the doctors were so pleased with their ingenuity that they created a report for other professional in a similar situation to use.

"This new technique is easy and reproducible in most endoscopy rooms, and we suggest it as a valid option to remove large foreign bodies from the colon and rectum when standard endoscopic devices fail in foreign body extraction," they commented in the BMJ.

Meanwhile, a woman in the UK also came close to having a foreign object somewhere it shouldn't be this week, after her hapless boyfriend mistook a battery-powered lint remover for a sex toy.

The anonymous female posted on Mumsnet that she thankfully spotted her other half's error just in time, before those potentially painful blades came into contact with her lady garden. Phew.

As ever, folks, we always recommend that you use only proper sex toys during your bedroom fun - and that you follow the instructions concerning their usage to avoid any mishaps like the one in Italy.